The are currently no vacancies.
Khmer Language Teachers (multiple roles available)
Gateway to Khmer (G2K) is a Khmer language school committed to providing the very best quality language and culture education in Cambodia. The school offers a comprehensive learning program, trained teachers and regular assessment for all students.
We want to enable expatriates in Cambodia to thrive, to integrate well into their new communities, to meet, work with and serve people using the local language, and to do so with respect for Khmer culture.
The school opened in 2014, and was created to assist missionaries in their language learning, but all students are welcome at G2K. Students are diverse in nationality and purpose in Cambodia, and while most work for NGO’s, schools, and church/ mission organisations, others work for international agencies, private businesses or simply have a personal interest in learning Khmer.
2018 is an exciting year for G2K, and we expect continued growth. These are new teaching positions to increase our capacity to teach more courses and students.
This position is a full-time position (48 hours per week), and you will teach Khmer as a second language to students who speak foreign languages (for example English, French, Spanish, Korean etc). The role will be offered on a one-year basis (after successfully completing paid training), with the possibility of renewal each year.
You will teach students how to speak, read and write in Khmer and how to comprehend spoken Khmer. G2K teachers are mentors and guides to students in areas of culture and how to thrive in Cambodia as a foreigner. Teaching is offered in the mornings, afternoons and evenings, and are taught on a rota basis. The role will also involve lesson preparation, marking homework and various admin tasks as required.
Your students will be a variety of ages, and come from many different countries, so it is essential that you enjoy working with people, have an appreciation of different cultures and can adapt well to work with/ teach different personalities.
Duties and responsibilities:
Planning, preparing and delivering curriculum-based lessons to a range of classes and age groups
- Classroom management
- Preparing and setting review of lessons and homework assignments
- Marking and providing appropriate feedback on oral and written work
- Devising, writing and producing new materials, including audio and visual resources
- Organizing and getting involved in social and cultural activities such as sports competitions, school parties, dinners and excursions
- Attending and contributing to training sessions
- Participating in marketing events for the language school
- Basic administration, such as keeping student registers and attendance records
- Working as a team with other staff and teachers to ensure an excellent experience for students
- Assisting students with issues and referring to other staff where required
- Other responsibilities as deemed necessary
Requirements of the ideal candidate:
- A degree (preferably in a relevant subject)
- Good understanding of the Khmer language
- Good level of English – reading, writing, speaking and listening
- Ability and willingness to learn
- Good level of experience and proficiency using standard office software is essential – for example Word, Excel, Publisher and Powerpoint, along with web based tools/ activities such as email, cloud-based apps and storage, online research etc
- Ability to work as a team, and see shared goals as important
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Patience and understanding
- Respect for others
- Customer service excellence approach
- Demonstrates critical thinking and uses initiative
- Desire to grow professionally in education
- Exposure to foreign language education methodologies
- Experience teaching Khmer to foreigners helpful, but not required
- Experience working with foreigners may be useful, but not required
Location: Phnom Penh
Salary: Highly competitive
Contract: 1 year (after successfully completing training), renewable based on performance
How to apply:
If you are interested in applying for this job, please register to attend our recruitment workshop. The deadline for registrations is 9am on Friday 27 October 2017.
Date: Saturday 28 October 2017
Time: 8:45am – 12:15pm (please plan to attend for the entire time)
Location: Gateway to Khmer, 109-111 Silver St, Sangakat Tumnup Teuk, Khan Chamkarmon, Phnom Penh
How to register: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and attach your CV.
Deadline for registration: 9am on Friday 27 October 2017
If you have any questions, please email or call 089 439 436 (office hours only)